Richard Todd and Walt Disney




This wonderful letter (dated 10th December 2001) to the Daily Mail newspaper by the actor Richard Todd (1919-2009), was sent to me by our regular contributor Neil. It shows the strong bond between Walt Disney and the British actor had lasted long after he had completed his series of live-action movies for the legendary film producer. Unfortunately, I do not have the letter from Glenys Roberts that angered Richard Todd enough to make him pick up his pen. But this does show the affection that ‘Uncle Walt’ had for Toddy and his family:

Daily Mail 10th December 2001.

"I do not recognise the Walt Disney described by Glenys Roberts (Mail). He was a close friend from 1952 to 1966, when my wife, our children and I enjoyed the kindness and good humour of a remarkable man.

Walt’s avuncular benevolence seemed to be inculcated into his entire workforce. He seemed to know the names of everyone there, whatever their position.

Walt was at his most relaxed in his own home, but his real heart was to be found in the garden: the well-groomed lawns, beds and the barn which he brought from his boyhood home in Kansas and re-erected in his garden as his model railway workshop.

My eldest son, Peter, was born soon after I finished working on my first Disney film Robin Hood and his Merrie Men, and within weeks he received a large hamper of gifts. Thereafter at each Christmas for the next 14 years, Peter received a large box of presents, each one relevant to his age and with a gift label signed with love from Uncle Walt. When our daughter Fiona arrived four years later, she had the same sort of gifts from Uncle Walt.
In 1966, the container arrived usual by ship, but this time I had to tell the children there would be no need for a letter of thanks from them. Uncle Walt had died just after these gifts had been despatched.

This was the man I knew.

Richard Todd
Grantham
Lincolnshire."

2 comments:

Clement Glen said...

This wonderful letter (dated 10th December 2001) to the Daily Mail newspaper by the actor Richard Todd, was sent to me by our regular contributor Neil. It shows the strong bond between Walt Disney and the British actor had lasted long after he had completed his series of live-action movies for the legendary film producer. Unfortunately, I do not have the letter that angered Richard Todd enough to make him pick up his pen. But this does show the affection that ‘Uncle Walt’ had for Toddy and his family.

Neil said...

I have heard Richard Todd tell this story in a radio interview. He was a fascinating and very interesting person to hear talking about his experiences. I remember him and Denis Healey the politician being interviewed on an anniversary about the end of the last war. Both as we know had seen much action in the conflict - and I always remember Mr Healey saying the he thought the saddest thing for him was as he said 'it seems that each generation seems incapable of learning from the previous one' - and this was something Richard Todd wholeheartedly agreed with. He was of course referring to such conflict and the fact that in spite of all that has gone before there is war somewhere in the world. Back to this item though, I did know that Richard Todd had become great friends with Walt Disney - he even went to his home which not that many did - and they kept in touch until Walt died. Richard lived in Lincolnshire - as I do - and back in 1949 when he was here with Treasure Island Walt Disney came up to Norton Disney near Lincoln to look into hit 'roots' and there are still photographs of this visit in the local pub there. I was in the pub maybe 2 years ago and I asked whether people were still interested in asking about the visit and seeing the pictures and he said that he is asked at least once a week about this. Fascinating lives they both led and I admire them both hugely.