The Death of Maid Marian

Maidenhead Advertiser

I made it into some newspapers back in 2009. It was after my research into an almost completely forgotten film star.


Dorothy Joan Mckenzie died in Maidenhead, Berkshire England on New Year’s Day 1997. She was the wife of former journalist Ken McKenzie and was just 66 years old. During the 1960s, she had various mundane office jobs, including working for the Inland Revenue in Slough. In between this, she trod the boards in stage productions. Then in 1970, she set up her own letting agency in Maidenhead.


Joan Rice

But, it was as Joan Rice that Dorothy was better known and had touched stardom, wooed Hollywood and been sprinkled with Disney magic. After winning a beauty contest, this former Lyons Tea House waitress was picked out by a film agent and sent to attend the Rank Charm School, a training institution for young actors. At 21 years old, she was given a two-year Rank Film contract. After appearing alongside Dirk Bogarde in ‘Blackmailed’ she was personally chosen by Walt Disney from six others to play the part of Maid Marian alongside Richard Todd in his live-action ‘The Story of Robin Hood’ (1952).


I saw Disney’s ‘Story of Robin Hood’ during my school summer holidays in the early 1970s, it not only triggered my interest in the legend but I instantly fell in love with Joan. Back in the days before the internet, although there were plenty of biographies about stars in the film like Peter Finch and Richard Todd, I could not find anything about Joan. Who was she, and what happened to her? Meanwhile, this wonderful film faded from memory as Disney released a second movie about Robin Hood - a cartoon.


Richard Todd (Robin Hood) and Joan Rice (Maid Marian)


So, in 2006, using the pseudonym Clement Glen, I started a blog about the film and began to inquire into her life. I dedicated the website to Joan. Gradually down the years, my readers and her friends and family contacted me with their memories and anecdotes about her. I soon realised what an amazing life she had led.


“It was nice to find something on the internet about my Aunt Joan. I miss her a lot… She and I wrote each other up until her death and I still have her letters. My Mum and I went to see her grave shortly after she died... it was a sad trip”.

(A relative of Joan Rice)



Joan Rice

In 2009, a reporter from the Maidenhead Advertiser emailed me asking about my research into the life of their ‘forgotten’ resident. The reporter had been reading my blog and was surprised to read about Joan Rice’s short but glittering film career and learn she had lived first in Windsor and then settled in Maidenhead, Berkshire in 1964. 


Joan Rice and Ken McKenzie in Cookham near Maidenhead 1983

Using details from my blog, including how Joan was personally chosen by the legendary Walt Disney to play Maid Marian, the reporter appealed for information on her and where her final resting was? By the following week, the reporter got back to me saying it was confirmed that Joan Rice was buried in Braywick Cemetery in Maidenhead. 



Many local people were surprised to learn how this former resident had spent 8 years in a children’s home, became a waitress, and then experienced a Cinderella-like rise to stardom in Hollywood. 



Walt Disney, Richard Todd and Joan Rice

So, it was rewarding to know I had helped keep Joan's memory alive

and that this beautiful English rose had not been forgotten. If you want to know more about Joan's life and career just click on the blog label.


3 comments:

Clement Glen said...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to our knowledge of the life and career of Joan Rice.

neil said...

This is a very good and interesting article Clement. I hadn’t realised that you had played such an important part in helping to identify Joan’s resting place - and also helping to ignite local interest into her incredible life. You have also helped - as I hope I have - in coming to her defence when she had been criticised by Ken Annalin and Richard Todd for her acting ability. Their comments - made much later - doesn’t mask the fact the after Robin Hood, Richard Todd’s next film was forgettable whereas she flew to Hollywood and Fiji, to star in a successful action film His Majesty O Keefe. Nowadays after two big films like that an actress would be in demand and rich - but that didn’t happen to Joan Rice, I am sad to say

Clement Glen said...

Happy New Year Neil and thank you for your continued input and support down the years. Yes, I like to think that between us we have proved she was an excellent actress, but like so many, a victim of the misogyny and chauvinism of the time.