Two Years Old


This BLOG is now two years old. How time flies when you’re having fun! And fun it certainly has been. I had never attempted producing a blog or website before, so this whole thing has been a completely new experience for me. And what an experience!

There have been many highlights. Without doubt the most exciting for me, was Neil’s amazing discovery of The Riddle of Robin Hood, the promotional film that showed the research and production of Walt Disney’s Story of Robin Hood (1952). Something I had been looking for, over the last few years. It is not only an important piece of Disney history, but a fascinating insight into British Post War movie production. Neil very kindly sent me a DVD copy, which I treasure. I will continue to post excerpts from The Riddle of Robin Hood in the future.

Neil’s comments, contributions and obvious enthusiasm for Walt Disney’s Story of Robin Hood have made producing this web site so worthwhile. The still he sent me of Richard Todd being filmed for Robin Hood on the riverbank and the magazine article of Joan Rice’s screen test as Maid Marian at Denham Studios are priceless! I am trying to talk him into contributing more articles!

I would like to think that this blog has gone someway into discovering more about Joan Rice and giving her the recognition she deserves. Before, all that could be found out about her was the vague description in a few movie books, that she was a ‘pert English actress of the 1950’s’. After the initial help from Maria Steyn, Joan’s niece, some friends and neighbors we have gradually pieced together a little more about the life of our beautiful Maid Marian. Recently I have had some more feed-back which I will post soon.

Another highlight for me was to find, at long last, some rare information on Walt Disney’s legendary producer Perce Pearce. This had taken months to obtain, after many visits to libraries and long nights trawling the internet. But eventually some people answered my pleas for help and a couple of readers of the Disney History site came up with some newspaper clips and details of his life.

But this blog is not just about Walt Disney’s wonderful Robin Hood movie and its actors and actresses, but a legend that has lasted for nearly eight hundred years. We have already had a look at the earliest ballads and the first printed versions of his adventures. These have been popular with visitors to my site and my poll showed that 28% of my readers enjoyed discovering more about the medieval Robin Hood. I will continue the historical search for the elusive outlaw, his many images and the places associated with his legend.

Visitors to my blog have steadily increased over the past couple of years, to nearly two thousand a month. But most of you tend to call-by without saying hello. Please don’t be shy. There are a number of places where you can leave a message, please do, even if it is just to say hello!

I am taking a short break, but I will be back soon, hopefully thoroughly refreshed, when we will continue our journey with Allan-A-Dale through the leafy glades of Sherwood Forest. Thank you once again for all your support and enthusiasm. It makes it all worthwhile.

1 comment:

Clement Glen said...

A special thank you for all your support!