70th Anniversary of The Story of Robin Hood


I have many favourite stills from Walt Disney's Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men (1952) and this is one of them. Richard Todd as Robin Hood puts his protective arms around Maid Marian played by the beautiful Joan Rice. Do you have a favourite?

This movie had a huge influence on me. I was already a huge Disney fan, but I can remember sitting in my local Granada cinema when I was a teenager, being transfixed by the visual feast before my eyes. The glorious Technicolor, the wonderful characters, the visual effects and of course I fell in love with Joan Rice.

As we approach the 70th Anniversary of the start of filming at Denham Studios, I can't help wishing Disney would release an anniversary DVD of The Story of Robin Hood, containing extras and behind-the-scenes footage. Wouldn't that be a fitting tribute to this wonderful film and the vast amount of talented people that were involved in creating this masterpiece?

5 comments:

Clement Glen said...

Do you have a favourite still from the movie?

Please let me know.

Neil said...

I couldn't agree more, Clement about the release of a New DVD of this wonderful film, plus the trailer and other scenes or behind the scenes features - that would be fantastic. Just thinking about it again, I just wish that the film had been 20 minutes longer. I did read about a first showing of Treasure Island being over 2 hours but the film is now at 90 minutes and I wonder if the same is the case with 'The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men'

Neil said...

Favourite scenes - Well Robin meeting Little John on the bridge over the stream on that impressive studio set and then his meeting with Friar Tuck - both beautifully filmed and played. The scenes in the Outlaw's camp were also good.

Clement Glen said...

I have so many favourite scenes Neil. Prince John watching the Crusaders marching off into the sunset. The ‘Whistle my Love’ sequence. The archery tournament.... I could go on and ON!

Neil said...

It is 70 years ago as of yesterday 30 April that Richard Todd opened the curtains at his home before heading off to Denham for the first day on this film, only to see that the garden and countryside was covered in a blanket of snow. The Walt Disney organisation had not accounted for such a possibility and things had to be re-adjusted to suit. The snow quickly went but the following cold days were spent at Burnham Beeches with some outdoor scenes. I have to say that I do feel the filming there was a little early because although the trees were in leaf they were not in full leaf as later when they are even more attractive