Richard Todd at Elstree

Richard Todd's plaque at Elstree

My fiancee and I recently visited Elstree, Borehamwood in Hertfordshire. It was an exciting day and one of the highlights for me was seeing the many plaques dedicated to the stars and films created at the legendary studios there.


The wall sculpture at Elstree station

The British Film Institute plaque to Richard Todd (1919-2009) is located on the south east side of Shenley Road in Borehamwood. It is one of a series commemorating 100 years of cinema. These memorials are now part of Elstree's Film & TV Heritage Trail.

Richard Todd's plaque contains a quote by the star saying:

Elstree Studios was my second home for fourteen years and I have the fondest memories of Borehamwood and all those those I worked with during those productive times."

It was in 1951 that Richard Todd filmed Walt Disney's Story of Robin Hood at Denham Studios. This was the last major film production at those legendary studios approximately 20 miles from Elstree Studios.


Joan Rice as Maid Marian and Richard Todd as Robin Hood

To read more about Richard Todd, Denham Studios and the making of this wonderful movie, please click on the subjects in the task bar.

2 comments:

Clement Glen said...


"Richard Todd at Elstree"

Neil said...

Interesting and pleasing for Richard Todd's family to know that he is remembered and also recognised for his work over many years at this studio. I reckon The Sword and The Rose and Rob Roy were made at Elstree. However I always think of Richard Todd roaming those leafy glades on the sets at Denham where fittingly The Story of Robin Hood was filmed - so to me he fits better at Denham than Elstree.